.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Marlee Magoo. Make your own badge here.
Monday, July 17, 2006
Accident
Last night about 9:00 the phone rang. Katie was still up and went to check the caller I.D. to see who it was. She said "It's Grammy, I wonder what she wants". I thought the exact same thing. It was rather late for her to be calling. Katie answered and almost immediately passed the phone to me, which is also unusual as she and Grammy usually talk for a good 15-20 mins before I can even think about getting the phone away from her. My mom said "Hi, I thought you were going to call when you got home". I told her "Yeah, I was going to, we got home, unpacked sat on the couch and all pretty much crashed". Then she said (Oh hell, lets just forget the quotes, hopefully my English teacher isn't reading this anyway) well the S. family had an exciting vacation, and just so you know everyone is ok but.....

*The S family is my mom's youngest sister, her husband, E the 18 year old boy and H the 15 year old girl. The S family spends a week very summer with the husbands family at a lake in Northern Minnesota. J my mom's sister is more like my sister, my mom is the oldest and J is the youngest with 8 kids, this puts quite a few years bewteen them. J lived with us a few years when I was about 10. I spend the first 3 summers of E's life babysitting him and there was that summer 13 years ago when D, the husband, was in the hospital for 3 months and I went and stayed with the kids so they would have some stability during such an uncertain time. I tell people all the time, I love E and H just like they are my own because, well its really like they are. So to hear everyone is ok but....

BUT WHAT I screamed into the phone? Well they were coming home Saturday and were only on the road about 30 mins guessing from the town they were by and a car (not sure what kind) crossed the center line and side swipped the Yukon. D was driving, J and E were in the Yukon along with D's mom. This caused the boat hitched to the back to flip and as they turned to watch the boat flip they saw what I can only imagine was a nightmare in slow motion. D's sister, her husband and H were in the pick-up behind them and the car that had side swipped them hit the truck head on. J said she isn't sure but thinks all she could do was scream as they watched the truck roll several times. H had been laying down in the back seat sleeping and had a blanket over her, which was a good thing as it prevented some of the glass from cutting her. She was able to somehow climb out of the truck, which landed upside down. Thank God the accident happened where they could see 2 farm houses. D and E went running to the houses to call 9*1*1*. J dialed her cell phone and right as the operator answered, it dropped the call. Scary stuff. H was able to climb out on her own, they were able to help D's sister out, D's BIL had to wait and be cut out of the truck with the jaws of life. BIL was hurt the worse, he is having surgery today to try and repair his shattered wrist, D's sister has several bruises and a burn to her face from the airbag. H has a fractured pelvis and a broken rib. The driver of the other car was air-evac to I assume the closest hospital. They believe he was impared. I didn't sleep last night as all I could do was think what if? We were just there and everyone was fine. It only takes a second. I haven't talked to J yet but will call her in just a bit. What do you say though? How many times can you tell someone you love them just to never know you may never get to again? Katie starts VBS today and after I pick her up, we are going to run to Cost*Co to get our pictures from Po-Dunk printed and then off to fill up a care package for H. I love those kids just as much as my own.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
footer2.JPG